europe +39 075 505 78 65 |  int. +1 646 934 6864 |   

Lake Maggiore, what to see

Home In Italy Magazine

Apr 162021Lake Maggiore, what to see It is the second-largest lake in Italy by extension, the first being Lake Garda. 80% of Lake Maggiore belongs to Piedmontese soil and a minimum part to the Lombardy region, while the remaining 20% belongs to Switzerland.
Tagstourism, tours, travel, landscape

It is the second-largest lake in Italy by extension, the first being Lake Garda. 80% of Lake Maggiore belongs to Piedmontese soil and a minimum part to the Lombardy region, while the remaining 20% belongs to Switzerland. Northern Italy boasts natural and architectural beauties, however, a prominent place is certainly occupied by the lakes. Among these precious mirrors of water set amidst mountains and valleys is Lake Maggiore, one of the most important Italian lakes. On its banks, it is possible to discover real artistic and landscape treasures that absolutely deserve to be seen: islands, villas, gardens, palaces, attractions and much more. If you are planning a trip to these areas, here below a list of some must-see places.

Stresa
The queen of Lake Maggiore with plentiful villas, beautiful parks and gardens rich with plants and colourful flowers.
Strolling along the romantic lakefront of Stresa admiring the view of the Borromean Islands and the mountains is a truly extraordinary experience to enjoy during every season.
Rocca Borromea di Angera


Stresa

On the southern end of Lake Maggiore is the Rocca Borromea di Angera, an incredible building resulting from 5 different edifices constructed during various historical periods between the 11th and 17th centuries. This magnificent building houses the Doll and Toy Museum which traces the history of children's play from the 18th century to the present day. The Historical Rooms, on the other hand, house precious frescoes, ancient paintings and original decorations. The Medieval Garden in the outdoor area will take you on a marvellous journey back in time.


Rocca Borromea

Isola Bella
In the middle of Lake Maggiore, there are several islands and islets. Among these is Isola Bella, the smallest of the Borromean Islands. On this enchanting island, you can admire the splendid botanical gardens rich with plants, flowers and statues and the elegant Baroque palace built between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, with beautiful halls full of tapestries, paintings, furniture and much more.


Isola Bella

Here the Palazzo Borromeo, a seventeenth-century building still belonging to the Borromeo family, on Isola Bella is almost a mansion, partly open to the public as a museum: 20 rooms and halls, including the incredible Berthier gallery, covered with paintings up to the ceiling. A fascinating journey between art and history.
Unique rooms of this magnificent palace are the Throne Room, the Queens Room, the Tapestry and the Caves Room, created to amaze guests by conveying them to a magical marine world.


Palazzo Borromeo

Isola Madre
Isola Madre, also known in ancient times as Isola Maggiore, is the largest of the islands of the archipelago. The islet is occupied by some buildings and particularly by gardens. The English garden, with its eight hectares, houses a botanical heritage with a strong exotic imprint that made it the most voluptuous place seen in the world (quoted by Gustave Flaubert). The current English botanical park was built in the early nineteenth century, and since then plants and flowers have been brought from distant journeys and acclimatized thanks to the mild and favourable temperatures.


Isola Madre


Parco Pallavicino
Returning to the mainland it is possible to visit the Pallavicino park, preserved by the Borromeo family after previous neglected management. This park hosts 18 hectares of secular trees, beeches, Ginkgo Biloba, oaks, maples, cedars of Lebanon, and, to the delight of children, the farm with pink flamingos, fallow deer, storks, sheep and goats to pet.


Parco Pallavicino

Villa Taranto
In the northwest part of the Castagnola promontory, on the western shores of Lake Maggiore, are the gardens of Villa Taranto, certainly one of the most beautiful attractions in Piedmont. The garden is a real work of art with thousands of plants and flowers from all over the world. Some specimens are very rare and embellish this "botanical art gallery" which, every spring/summer, offers a unique and evocative spectacle.


Villa Taranto


Lake Maggiore area offers the fascination of villages lost in time, superb villas and places rich in history, character, and refinement. Explore here our collection of villas located in the northern lakes area and enjoy this sophisticated holiday destination.


Villa Taranto














VILLAS YOU MAY LIKE


liberty

 10    6    5
lake Maggiore, cannero riviera
Price On demand

villa elena

 10/13    5    7
lake Maggiore, Baveno
Price On demand